Back to Technical Index
S10-320, DUAL SERIAL CARD, LGS, GMI6C550
ISA Controller Card with 1 or 2 serial ports
(Click here to get a larger view)
It is awfully hard finding information on this card on the internet. So I tried messing a bit with it myself. These are the results:
- As I bought that card, I was told that I could upgrade it to a second serial port. I guess if you fill the free IC slots
you can connect another serial cable (with the connectors top-right). I never upgraded, so I don't know what ICs are needed.
- JP2 is for setting the IRQ of the serial ports. the upper one is for the first port (on-board), the lower one is for COM B.
I didn't try setting both ports to the same IRQ but it should work. (COM3 and COM1 often share an IRQ, too)
- With JP1 you can set the addresses of the ports. If a jumper is covering the center and the right pin, that address is to be used for COM A,
if a jumper is covering the center and the left pin, that address is to be used for COM B.
That way you can't have an I/O conflict on the card alone.
(Of course you can have an I/O conflict with other hardware in your system).
I didn't try giving one port multiple I/O addresses. If you try and have some interesting information, drop me a line!
- I disabled the second port (so my OS doesn't find a missing port) by simply removing all jumpers for COM B
- The serial port is a rather recent one (should be 16550A or something). I bought it especially to improve modem speed.